The Director of Business Initiatives is a key position within the organization; working closely with
the leadership team, the individual will be responsible for the execution of activities that grow
Bennett Design’s design, workplace strategy and project management business. This is a highly
entrepreneurial opportunity for an experienced business development professional that thrives in
a fast-paced, results-oriented environment. The Director of Business Initiatives is highly skilled at
connecting with C-level executives, senior leaders, and other key decisions makers within
The successful candidate will have demonstrated success managing the entire sales cycle from
prospecting and building a pipeline through discovery, solution development, presentations,
proposals, closing and contract negotiation.
Role and Responsibilities
- Responsible for leading business development and new client acquisition nationally
- Effectively build and manage a relevant network of business contacts and leverage
that network to identify, pursue and secure new opportunities essential to our
organization’s growth and expansion.
- Build a solid pipeline of opportunities with a mix of near-term and longer-term close
- Understand the design/construction environment and procurement process and
possess the ability to convey our value proposition to clients.
- Develop strategies to optimize project opportunities and meet company sales
- Work to improve the organizations market position and achieve financial growth, by
increasing net new business.
- Deliver exceptional presentations and proposals to win business.
- Achieve or exceed annual sales targets on a consistent basis.
- Oversee the drafting of unique and complex proposal packages.
- Close deals by developing and negotiating contracts and integrating contract
requirements with business operations.
- Work closely with the leadership team to align on strategies, innovation initiatives and
- Own cross functional initiatives to drive Bennett Design’s growth strategy alongside
other leaders within the company.
- Create corporate internal business development processes, including the strategic
development and execution of marketing and advertising campaigns and initiatives.
- Provide the leadership team with up-to-date market trends and ongoing analysis of
the current business environment.
- Maximize the platform potential of the company’s CRM, Salesforce, and develop the
relevant analytics and KPI’s, and management reports.
- Oversee the involvement of project consultants and subtrade relations.
- Management, development and mentoring of direct reports.
- Additional duties as required.
As a Director of Business Initiatives with Bennett Design, you will be responsible for working
towards improving and mastering the following professional core competencies appropriate to
- Look for ways to streamline current BDA processes
- Generate ideas for new processes and/or new strategies to better serve our clients
- Engage in continuous education, company and self-directed to further professional
- Apply a logical and systematic approach to solving issues
- Utilize experience and best practices to guide decision making
- Develop an action plan and review with senior team lead prior to implementation for
- Start to understand the task at hand from all stakeholder viewpoints
- Start to develop a leadership role in creating a strategic approach to developing
solutions within your team
- Use research and evidence from the “experts” to check and support assumptions and
- Assess and manage potential issues BEFORE reaching conflict stage
- Address conflicts immediately with proactive approach
- During conflict, collaborate with others in an effort to find an amicable solution that
satisfies all parties involved in the conflict
- Act with integrity, honesty, dependability and reliability to team members, colleagues,
clients and Bennett Design
- Accept responsibility for your actions and project commitments
- Be prepared and confident with recommendations and solutions presented to clients
- Be a true client service “maven”, provide a great client service experience
- Be highly responsive to both external and internal client needs and requests
- High level of attention to detail and accuracy
- Communicate (written and verbal) in a clear, concise and professional manner to
colleagues, suppliers and clients
- Use effective and appropriate presentation methods for plans, design schedules,
Knowledge, Experience & Qualifications
Knowledge & Skills
- Ability to build rapport, build trust and present confidently to potential clients including
at the c-suite level.
- Self-motivated individual with the ability to work independently and a drive to succeed
- Demonstrate strong business acumen, trust, and confidence
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and Salesforce client relationship management software
- Effective client relationship management skills
- Excellent written, verbal and presentation communication skills
- Effective negotiation and persuasion skills
- Knowledge of the interior design industry is an asset
- Post secondary education in Interior Design, Business Administration, Marketing, or a
related field of study
- Minimum 10 years experience in sales, marketing, or a related field
- Proven track record of achieving sales quotas
Principal | CEO
In this role you have the flexibility to work remotely and at the Bennett office location as needed.
You will be required to travel to meetings with clients, industry events and networking
opportunities. You may also be required visit construction sites and may be required to wear the
appropriate safety equipment (safety hats, boots, vests etc.).
This role has no physical requirements.